School Council is a legally formed body that is given powers to set the key directions of the School. It is the major governing body of the school and decides future directions for the school and oversees the school’s operation. The role of School Council is to:-
- Set the broad direction and vision for the school
- Lead school community conversations about key issues and challenges in education
- Prepare and endorse the school’s Strategic Plan
- Ensure that an Annual Report is made available to the school community
- Develop, review and update policies
- Exercise a general oversight of the buildings and grounds ensuring that they are kept in good order and condition
- Regulate and facilitate the after-hours use of school premises and grounds
- Ensure that the school is responsive to the needs of the local community
Sub-committees assist the work of School Council by exploring key strategic issues in more detail than is possible at a School Council meeting. They provide opportunities to involve and utilise the expertise and experiences of members of the school community (and wider community) who are not members of school council.
There are six sub-committees of the Karoo PS School Council:
- Education Committee
- Finance Committee
- Buildings & Grounds Committee
- Outside School Hours Care Committee
- Marketing & Grants Committee
- Fundraising Committee
How is our school council elected?
Each year, School Council elections take place in Term 1 and the process must be completed by 31st March. The Principal is responsible for conducting the election, although may appoint a person to act on her behalf for one or more of the purposes of the election. A letter detailing the number of vacancies and terms is uploaded to Compass during February, inviting parents to nominate for this special school requirement. School councillors are elected for either a two-year or one-year term.
There are two separate representatives within a school community:
- Parent representative
- Department of Education and Training (DET) employee representative
Karoo PS school council members
DET Representatives: Danielle Heatley, Ashley Kuusela, Robyn Harris, Simone Vitas, Ben McFarlin