A key feature of Karoo Primary School’s success is the active involvement of students. The school offers a diverse range of leadership opportunities for all students including joining leadership teams and participating in leadership programs. Our student leaders are given guidance, encouragement and support on how to develop the skills, values and attitudes needed to fulfil these important roles.
Through their participation students learn about:
- public speaking
- ‘what makes’ a good leader
- organisational and team skills
- encouraging and problem solving
Student leaders are our role models, and are required to:
- be caring, courteous and reliable
- be capable of doing the job
- be positive and enthusiastic
- show empathy towards others and act as good friends would
- use manners and basic good grace when dealing with other students and adults
- treat others fairly and honestly
- be self disciplined
- show self control of their feelings and actions
- be responsible and trustworthy
- be friendly and act like a good friend should
- work well with others
The two School Captains at Karoo are selected at the end of each year, and presented to the school community at a special assembly at year’s end. All students in Year 5 are given the opportunity to nominate themselves for the position of School Captain for the following year, and present a speech to their peers and staff who then select the two most outstanding candidates. Our school captains are the student face of the Karoo, and proudly represent us at a range of events both within and outside the school community. They are regularly called on to greet visitors to our school and act as tour guides on important occasions such as Open Days and school celebrations, represent Karoo Primary School at special ceremonies (such as Remembrance Day), take an active role in our school assemblies, and along with other student leaders, assist with a variety of Karoo events.
Student Representative Council
At Karoo we have an enthusiastic and dedicated Student Representative Council (SRC) who have been elected by their peers. Our SRC is comprised of a representative from each Year 3-6 class and is run with the guidance of staff. Our Student Representative Councillors take pride in representing Student Voice and Agency, and often survey their peers to identify ideas and issues of importance. Regular meetings are conducted in which our SRC members share their thoughts and findings and organise future initiatives and events.
Our Student Representative Council work together to:
- organise and run events for students at Karoo to promote school values and for fun
- organise fundraising events for various charities, special causes and for the improvement of school facilities
- consult with children in own classrooms and report school-based concerns to SRC.
The Play Leaders Program provides an opportunity for Year 5 students to undergo training in leadership skills to organize and run a series of sports games designed for students in Foundation to Year 3 to enjoy.
The program offers Play Leaders new leadership skills and confidence, while creating a positive and encouraging environment for all participants.
The program runs during lunchtimes each day outside the OSHC building.
Creating a positive school environment