Child Safety and Volunteers
Child Safe Standards
- Culturally Safe Environments: Establish a culturally safe environment in which the diverse and unique identities and experiences of Aboriginal children and young people are respected and valued.
- Child Safety and Wellbeing Guidance: Ensure that child safety and wellbeing are embedded in school leadership, governance and culture.
- Child and Student Empowerment: Children and young people are empowered about their rights, participate in decisions affecting them and are taken seriously.
- Family Engagement: Families and communities are informed and involved in promoting child safety and wellbeing.
- Diversity and Equity: Equity is upheld and diverse needs are respected in policy and practice.
- Suitable Staff and Volunteers: People working with children and young people are suitable and supported to reflect child safety and wellbeing values in practice.
- Complaints Processes: Ensure that processes for complaints and concerns are child focused.
- Child Safety Knowledge, Skills and Awareness: Staff and volunteers are equipped with the knowledge, skills and awareness to keep children and young people safe through ongoing education and training.
- Child Safety in Physical and Online Environments: Physical and online environments promote safety and wellbeing while minimising the opportunity for children and young people to be harmed.
- Review of Child Safety Practices: Implementation of the Child Safe Standards is regularly reviewed and improved.
- Implementation of Child Safety Practices: Policies and procedures that document how schools are safe for children, young people and students.
Source: https://ccyp.vic.gov.au/assets/resources/New-CSS/A-short-guide-to-the-Child-Safe-Standards-27.04.23.pdf (Accessed Oct 2023)
Karoo Parent and Volunteer Helpers
Parent and volunteer helpers are always welcome at Karoo Primary School. We pride ourselves on our strong relationships between the community, home and school, and involving parent/volunteer helpers fully and actively in the children’s learning and in the life of our school.
In order to become a Parent or Volunteer helper, we require you to complete the following tasks in order to be added to our Volunteers register:
Read the Karoo Volunteer/Parent Helper Guidelines and Confidentiality Declaration. Within this declaration you will be asked to read:
- Karoo Primary School’s Volunteers Policy
- Karoo Primary School’s Working With Children Policy
- Karoo Primary School’s Child Safety Code of Conduct
You will also be required to watch:
• Watch the Volunteer Child Safe information session
Once these have been completed and the declaration signed, please bring your valid Working with Children Check to the front office to be copied.
Please note in order to assist in the classroom during Reading sessions, volunteers are required to attend one of our Reading Helper Sessions. These are run at various times across the school year.